An abdominal binder may be used to speed-up the recovery process after abdominal surgery. Your doctor may recommend that you wear an abdominal binder after:
- a caesarean section
- bariatric surgery
- an exploratory laparotomy
- a hysterectomy
- a tummy tuck
- spinal surgery
A carefully-positioned abdominal binder may be used in people with spinal cord injury to help:
- support the abdomen
- maintain abdominal pressure
- improve respiratory function
- Wearing an abdominal binder may decrease post-operative pain.
- It may also decrease psychological distress following your procedure.
- They also may promote deep breathing.